Sell Downloads on a WIX Free website with DPD
- February 22, 2018
- No Comments
We often get asked how to integrate DPD with a WIX free website. WIX is a popular What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) website editor because it has a free plan, you don’t have to know how to use HTML or CSS to make a website, and they have commercials on cable TV. This post will show you step-by-step how to use the DPD cart with WIX’s built in buttons.
You can use DPD with a WIX free site to sell downloads, keycodes, and tangible goods. However, there are some limitations:
1. No Overlay Cart.
Because WIX sandboxes everything in iframes, using the Lightbox / Overlay of the DPD cart results in the Lightbox opening in that iframe, being unusable.
2. No Fancy Buttons or Widgets
So what can I do with a WIX free site?
You CAN use WIX’s built-in button creator to add a “add to cart” or “buy now” button to any page. This lets you pick a button that matches your theme (or any of the other available styles) and send people to the DPD cart to buy your products with a WIX free site.
The Lightbox / Overlay cart won’t work, but customers can easily return to your website using the Continue Shopping link inside the DPD cart.
Using DPD with a WIX Button is Easy:
1. Log in to your WIX account and edit your site. If you’re using their design wizard intelligence thing, switch to using the Editor using the Site menu at the top of the page.
2. To get advanced options, go to the Tools menu and enable Developer Tools.
3. Figure out where you’d like to put the DPD add-to-cart or buy now button on your WIX page, then select the Add + > Button > and select a button. You can use a themed button or any other style. Drag and Drop the button you select to where you’d like it to appear on your web page.
DO NOT use a PayPal button or any 3rd party button– just use a plain ole’ button. It doesn’t matter if you’re using PayPal with DPD. The purchase must go through a DPD URL first to track the sale and deliver the product.
4. For the product you have configured in DPD that you’d like to sell on your WIX page, open the button code page in DPD and select “Link” from the available tabs. Choose your options and copy the Link URL from the Link Code box.
5. Once you’ve copied your DPD Link URL, edit the button and change the button text, then select “Add a Link…” to open the link dialog. Select Web Address as the type, have the button open in the same window (so the continue shopping functionality of the DPD cart works correctly) and paste the DPD Link URL you copied in step 4 above in to the “Whats the web address?” field, then click done to save.
6. Thats it! Preview and publish your change and your DPD button is live.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DPD Support and we’ll do our best to help you. We’re not WIX and can’t provide support for their platform, but we’ll try to steer you in the right direction adding DPD buttons to their page builder.